Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Purchaser is responsible for sourcing, negotiating and buying goods, materials and services to meet operational requirements, taking into consideration, price, quality, delivery and continuity of supply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Purchasing and Stock Management
- Work with Production and Commercial to understand their medium- and long-term requirements.
- Complete purchase orders as required.
- Update purchasing records and provide reports and metrics as required.
- Use the Medium Long-Term Planning (MLTP) forecast of upcoming requirements to ensure that components are available to fulfil requirements.
- Closely monitor stock levels to ensure the needs of the operations department are met without over purchasing stock.
- Balance stock holding with target total stock value and committed purchases.
- Look for and identify opportunities for cost reductions on stock.
- Keep lead times updates in line with actual lead times provided from suppliers.
- Understand how costings affect the business and ensure that standard costings accurately reflect the actual costings.
- Build effective supplier relationships and support to develop these further by assisting on supplier review visits and attending exhibitions.
- Proactively expedite suppliers for updates on orders, looking at overdue orders plus those that are due in within the coming week.
- Identify and inform of any supplier poor performance issues or any other supplier concerns.
- Work with suppliers to source and negotiate parts in line with specified cost, quality and delivery targets.
- Identifying works that can be subcontracted in terms of assemblies and box builds.
- Work with suppliers to rectify damaged and defective goods.
- Identify opportunities for business and continuous improvement within purchasing processes.
- Implement, and review current cost reduction activities, review opportunities to make business savings utilising negotiation.
- Work with Commercial to inform cost of products, margins and lead-times.
- Maintain a general understanding of changes and advancements in the industry, monitor market trends and suppliers.
- Experience converting sales demand and forecast information into a planned ordering/delivery schedule.
- Understand how bill of materials and subassemblies work to build electronics-based products.
- Comfortable dealing with suppliers to negotiate price breaks, including placing purchase contracts and call-off orders.
- Hold suppliers accountable for delivering on time and in full and comfortable following up late deliveries.
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 5 days you have unfortunately been unsuccessful in your application for this position, however we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.