Direct reports: None
Purpose of the role:
This role has responsibility for the Operational, Accessions, and Quality management resources working on A&I products. The role manages a team to ensure performance is at the required level, that resourcing is appropriate, and that morale is high, and has an active role in the management of Publishing Operations more generally,
including managing change and plans across the department. The role has overall responsibility for delivering content to the product in a timely manner, including downstream delivery and other internal and external requirements, ensuring that processes and vendors are fit for purpose and that quality of service and output meet expectations and customer requirements. The role ensures includes continued development of taxonomic and indexing processes, as well as a roadmap for continued improvement in how we use our data to support user’s needs.
- Manage the team of resources supporting the database production process and thesaurus maintenance, ensuring resourcing is appropriate, and that morale is high.
- Take an active role in the management of Publishing Operations more generally, including managing change and plans across the department.
- Ensure content is delivered to product in a timely manner, including downstream delivery and other internal and external requirements.
- Make recommendations for workflow and operational processes to ensure we keep pace with industry trends, support product development, and deliver on targets.
- Monitor all feedback and analyse processes and metrics to ensure consistent delivery of quality products
- Monitor costs on an ongoing basis to ensure costs meet budget, and continuously review operational approaches to ensure the most cost-effective solutions.
- Ensure that processes and vendors are fit for purpose and that quality of service and output meet expectations and customer requirements.
- Ensure editorial input into taxonomies and indexing supports product improvement, to back and frontfile.
- Ensure continued improvement in indexing quality, including capturing new terms and trends
- Coordinate thesaurus maintenance
- Continue delivery of data feeds to third parties and customers as needed; reviewing improvements in automation to support these
- Understand and develop a strategy for development of tools and analytics, based on ongoing awareness of industry and technological developments.
- Manage the roadmap of process/technology improvements and ensure its continued development.
- Work with IT to deliver processes and systems in support of A&I processes and XML data model management.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Expertise in XML-based production processes, preferably related to A&I products.
- Significant experience in operational roles within publishing, delivering publishing products and working with vendors and teams
- Significant experience of, and completed training in, standard project management methodologies, such as Prince2 and Agile.
- Significant experience of running medium-large-scale projects, with successful conclusion.
- Demonstrable people management skills, managing performance and development.
- Demonstrable skills in defining and progressing a technical/product development roadmap.
- Strong communication skills, particularly stakeholder engagement and influencing
- An understanding of current technology and publishing trends
- Experience of managing outsourced contracts and delivering results through vendors
Education & Qualifications
- Although experience is more relevant than qualifications, a first degree, preferably in
- a life science discipline, would be advantageous
- People management skills
- Strong team-worker
- Excellent communicator
- Self-motivated and hard-working
- Able to take initiative and achieve results
- Enthusiasm for self-improvement and career development
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 5 days you have unfortunately been unsuccessful in your application for this position, however we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.