Digital information and data alongside traditional learning resources enable R&D activities and are used to undertake research effectively, maintain company technical knowledge and leverage good practices. The Data and Information specialist is responsible for a wide variety of activities related to supporting colleagues to advance their technical practice and provide practitioners with the tools, information and data they need to conduct world class development work. This role is a focal point to ensure information services are easily accessible, appropriate for evolving research needs and are fully optimised by global Technology and Legal teams.
You will also support the analysis and curation of scientific data and support associated software tools. Working with Data Scientists there is also the opportunity to further develop IT and software skills to provide advanced digital capabilities. You will be able to proactively build relationships with key internal stakeholders as well as managing external suppliers to maintain a high standard of daily operation. You may be asked to deliver custom projects such as new services trials.
The position is incredibly varied and provides the opportunity to drive the research support capabilities within the organisation
What you will be doing:
- First line response to colleague requests such as journal purchasing and service access
- Manage suppliers to ensure value-for-money and to leverage any technological developments
- Monitor and reporting on service usage statistics to ensure suitability and make recommendations as appropriate
- Support the data and processes for R&D software tools
- Support the analysis and curation of scientific data
- Maintain budget sheets to support budget stewardship
- Manage contracts for information services
What skills will you gain from this role?
- Working in a global organisation
- Critical thinking to ensure appropriate portfolio of research tools is in place
- Keeping up to date with research tool developments and technologies
- Work closely with R&D and data scientists
- Develop digital skills
Candidates suitable for this position are likely to:
- Ideally have a degree in a scientific field or experience of working in a research environment
- Be a pro-active self-starter familiar with problem solving techniques
- Ability to work autonomously and manage priorities, while retaining a collaborative and inclusive approach with others
- Comfortable balancing multiple requests with various deadlines to ensure requests are met in a timely manner
- Have proven negotiation skills & a strong ability to build relationships
- Have managed and delivered to a budget
- Familiar with using Microsoft tools such as SharePoint and Excel, experience in the use of macros is not required but an advantage
- Have a strong desire to learn new skills
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 5 days you have unfortunately been unsuccessful in your application for this position, however we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.