Purpose of the role:
The Business Development Manager will coordinate and be responsible for a fundraising pipeline of philanthropic revenue from trust, foundation, corporate and high-net-worth individuals, in alignment with donor needs and opportunities. Reporting to Head of Trusts and Foundations this role will work closely with Business units, the Strategic Account Management team and senior international development programme staff to increase engagement with and grow funding from philanthropic donors worldwide. Through the adoption of strategic account management processes, a collaborative approach will be taken to develop and win funding opportunities, building up an opportunity pipeline that delivers annual income of £1m+ after 12-18 months in post.
The Business Development Manager, Philanthropy will play a key role in expanding Company development projects portfolio, supporting the engagement of senior staff with regionally based funders and growing the funding pipeline for company’s main development programmes and initiatives.
- Lead, develop and own a portfolio of philanthropic trust, foundation, corporate and HNWI prospects and be responsible for their identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship to deliver annual income of £1m+ after 12 - 18 months in post.
- Focus on building a robust philanthropic income pipeline through developing relationships with donors capable of £100k+ partnerships; with the aim over time of developing significant (£250k+) philanthropic income streams with key donors.
- To understand and digest scientifically complex projects and to explain and tailor these projects to potential, non-specialist donors.
- In conjunction with Company annual donor action plans, adopt strategic account management processes to significantly grow Company project portfolio. Systematically cultivate connections and work collaboratively towards funding proposals, ensuring relationships are managed professionally to develop profitable and growing business.
- Carry out prospect research for trusts, foundations, corporate donors and HNWIs including charitable interests and giving levels, to identify potential links with key priority projects.
- Develop, devise and introduce new donor approaches and philanthropic funding solutions across Company I to facilitate the engagement of trust, foundation, corporate and HNWI prospects and partners; considering throughout that the ultimate goal is to secure new donor income.
- To both lead and facilitate the generation of collaborative proposals targeted at philanthropic donors.
- To support regional centres with their philanthropic fundraising efforts, carrying out philanthropic donor prospect research together with leading and facilitating subsequent donor approaches.
- To engage with colleagues globally to support best-practice approaches to philanthropic fundraising, working towards building a culture of philanthropy at company.
- To use CRM tool to report on an agreed basis as to progress made in establishing a pipeline of philanthropic donors.
- Ensure representation at relevant events, to raise profile and seek opportunities for engagement, building relationships with key and prospective funders and collaborators.
- Assist colleagues with presentation opportunities to opinion leaders and decision makers within Key Accounts. Undertake regular visits to donors, partners and collaborators.
- Record market knowledge and competitive position through active maintenance of the organisational Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system. Manage archiving of key documentation, including funding agreements in company institutional repository (SharePoint).
- Work with colleagues within the Commercial Department to plan and implement tactical marketing activities.
The appointed candidate will have experience in philanthropic fundraising and/or business development and a proven track record in identifying and winning opportunities for new business growth. Working alongside the Head of Trusts and Foundations and colleagues s/he will develop and implement plans to grow the philanthropic funding pipeline, thereby contributing to the achievement of company overall operational and strategic objectives.
Education & Qualifications
- Educated to degree level
- Demonstrable experience in successful business development with either philanthropic funders, development agencies, funding bodies or the private sector.
- Academic and/or business development background, relevant to fundraising
- Fluency required in spoken and written English. Knowledge of a second language an advantage.
- Computer literacy required, fluent with MS packages and experience of CRM systems.
- 4+ years philanthropic fundraising and/or business development experience, with a demonstrable track record (essential)
- Experience of working in a cross-cultural and multidisciplinary team environment, for example in Higher Education, international NGO or multinational company (essential)
- Experience of working with the private sector (desirable)
- Experience of working in project implementation (desirable)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation and presentational skills - articulate, persuasive and confident
- Good networker, focused on building excellent professional relationships and donor management.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- A collaborative team-player who can work across a matrixed environment.
- Commercial mindset and target orientated with the ability to meet financial income goals
- Both agile and organized: able to plan and meet objectives and to prioritise and deliver against deadlines.
- Flexible, pragmatic and ambitious, with an eagerness to learn
- A passion for international development
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
Demands of the role
- Ability to undertake occasional international travel
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 5 days you have unfortunately been unsuccessful in your application for this position, however we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.