The Strategic Buyer is responsible for managing supplier costs and contracts and assisting in the scheduling of materials and processing within company manufacturing environment. The efficient scheduling of supplier and manufacturing operations lie at the heart of the department’s objectives, therefore aiming to deliver a stable and level schedule wherever possible. The Strategic buyer is an integral part of the Company’s Supply Chain Cell, along with the Material Planner and Supplier Quality Engineer. The Strategic buyer uses the experience and knowledge of these functions to forge a commodity strategy which guarantees the lowest cost of acquisition, security of supply for materials required to fulfil customer orders.
Main objectives of role
- Ensure health & safety compliance to legal and company requirements
- Deliver the best total acquisition cost for the business and New Product introduction (NPI) supplier, part availability and quality stability for launch
- Ensure the product is delivered and stored in a manner such that it is safe, easily found and transferred to point of use, while minimising the overall value of stock held.
- Ensure the supply base operates full compliance with current policies and procedures in the areas of Quality and Product Certification, and where necessary driving through process improvements to meet changing business needs.
- Deliver supplier quarterly business reviews for all A-Class suppliers
- Develop strategic sourcing plans.
- Carry out periodic reviews with suppliers and continuous improvement actions and run improvement workshops with the SQE.
- Simplify the supply chain process and deliver ZERO stoppages and downtime from the manufacturing cells.
- Use data analysis to drive continuous improvement and deliver savings to the business.
- A supply chain professional with experience of supplier QCD management
Degree ideally in either: Engineering or Supply Chain Management / Purchasing (CIPS)
- Track record of delivering results within a challenging supply chain environment
- Good reporting and communication skills.
- Management of suppliers through KPI’s, whilst delivering business efficiency & cost improvements.
- A good delegator with the ability to build a high capability team, focused to deliver excellence in their products.
- Broad engineering background
- Planning & BOM management experience.
- Experience in Supply Management
- A proficient negotiator that can obtain the best arrangements for the organisation
- An organised approach to work and ability to juggle competing priorities to tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Working knowledge of Material Requirements Planning experience.
- Supplier Cost management techniques.
- Strategic sourcing principles in line with the Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply guidelines (CIPS).
- Stock management and inventory turns management within the Supply Chain.
- Good knowledge of Quality Control and Problem-solving techniques (Process FMEA / Control Plans / 8D problem solving / 5 Why / Ishikawa analysis).
- Supplier dispute resolution.
- Supplier Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) & Supplier ISIR Management (Incoming Sample Inspection Report).
- Microsoft suite
- ERP Systems
- Value stream management and VSM mapping techniques.
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 5 days you have unfortunately been unsuccessful in your application for this position, however we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.