CENTRAL SERVICES TECHNICIAN
Oxford Genetics, a leader in synthetic biology, is a specialised contract research organisation offering services to support the discovery, development and production of biologics, with a particular focus on viral vectors for gene therapy applications. A unifying theme across the portfolio is expertise in DNA design, expression system optimisation, cell line development and engineering of viral delivery systems. We are located within purpose-fitted laboratories at the Oxford Science Park, just South of Oxford.
We are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic scientists, engineers and technicians to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of our development as a company. We aim to be both innovative and entrepreneurial in everything we do – join us and contribute to this exciting journey!
The Central Services Technician will carry out a range of processes to provide support to laboratory based groups at Oxford Genetics with a focus on equipment, stock, reagents and waste management. An additional requirement will be contributing to the operation of an internal plasmid preparation and QC service. This will be a fully lab-based position and will work closely with the Laboratory Manager, Quality Management Team and other colleagues within the group to assure all aspects of the laboratories are run to a high standard and meet any quality standards in place. An ability to follow key processes at high throughput is essential, as is time management and working under pressure.
- Working with Lab Management Group and colleagues on general running and upkeep of central services
- Providing reagents, media to all groups in line with project needs
- Maintaining stocks of chemically and electro competent cells and glycerol stocks
- Carrying out and logging calibration & maintenance of equipment in line with quality standards
- Preparing plasmid DNA at small and large scale using automated and non-automated platforms
- Carrying out QC of plasmid DNA – restriction digest, Sanger sequencing, and associated logging of data
- Assisting with sample storage and fridge & freezer up keep throughout the company
- Assist with proper waste management including hazardous waste in line with regulations
- Assisting all groups with stock management
- Daily running of autoclaves
- Assisting groups to achieve key project targets where needed
- To maintain standards in the laboratories, and to contribute to ensuring best practice
- To help in maintaining SOPs, and in utilizing the internal LIMS system
- Support line manager in ensuring smooth running of the group.
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
- Provide accurate record keeping at all times
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OR EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
- Training in a biological or scientific discipline is preferred (further education level is sufficient), along with some experience of working in a laboratory environment.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Training will be provided as necessary, however experience in the following areas would be advantageous:
- Working in a laboratory setting to quality standards such as ISO:9001
- Carrying out calibration and day to day maintenance on lab equipment such as pipettes, balances, water baths, centrifuges etc.
- Reagent & media preparation
- General handling of E. coli cultures, along with plasmid DNA preparation and QC
Job type: Permanent
Hours: full time
Salary: £15,000 - £20,000 per annum
25 days Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays, Pension with matched employer contribution to 7%, Health Insurance, Group Life Cover, Child Care Voucher Scheme, Glasses Vouchers and a friendly working environment in a small and expanding company.
We have offices in the UK and USA. This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Medawar Building, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4GA.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom without sponsorship.
Please send a CV. Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description.
DIVERSITY AND EQUALITY OF OPPORTUNITY
We provide all our staff with a welcoming and inclusive workplace that enables and empowers everyone to develop and deliver professional excellence. We recognise diversity is vital for innovation and creativity and value each individual’s contribution. Entry into employment with Oxford Genetics and further progression will be determined by personal merit and the application of criteria related to the duties of the role. The ability to perform the role will be the primary consideration on entry into employment and to successfully pass probation.
PRE EMPLOYMENT SCREENING
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work in the UK, proof of identity, references and health assessment.